General Dynamics Information Technology is actively seeking a Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Officer of the Deck (OOD) Trainer / Navigation Subject Matter Expert (SME) at LCS Training Facility, Mayport, FL
Develops; organizes; and conducts navigation, seamanship, and professional ship handling training and educational programs for personnel assigned to USS FREEDOM (LCS-1) Class Littoral Combat Ships. Must be capable of conducting conventional knowledge-based classroom teaching and performance/scenario-based laboratory training. The candidate would serve as a Senior LCS Bridge Instructor to train Naval Officers on LCS-1 ship-handling capabilities and limitations, characteristics, and theory to include safety of navigation, supporting systems and equipment, pier side maneuvering and tactical maneuvering. When required, the candidate would provide subject matter expertise in support of curriculum development for LCS courses supporting ship handling and navigation training.
- Must be prepared to support the Train to Qualify (T2Q) and Train to Certify (T2C) process utilizing shore-based trainer requiring dynamic assessment of watchstanders during integrated scenarios.
- Primary instruction in LCS-1 Officer of the Deck (OOD) and Junior Officer of the Deck (JOOD) Capstone and LCS-1 Crew Certification Training.
- Prepares; reviews; and customizes curriculum lesson plans and instructor guide in support of traditional classroom teaching.
- Supports Formal Course Reviews and Curriculum Updates; conducts training gap analysis provides formal feedback and recommendation for Course improvement.
- Based on seniority; will be responsible for the preparations of subordinate instructor’s annual performance appraisals for leadership.
- Develops; tests; maintains; and delivers moderately complex Navy Combat Systems training programs and related materials in support of CSCS training objectives.
- Establishes and reviews course content and objectives.
- Conducts training sessions and develops criteria for evaluating the effectiveness of training activities.
- Maintains records of training activities; participant progress; and program effectiveness.
- Maintains current knowledge of relevant technologies as assigned.
Candidate will be required to support a second shift work schedule on a rotational basis.
Bachelor's Degree in a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical certifications, training, or work/military experience.
Seven (7) years of experience all facets of navigation, professional ship handling, ship operations in accordance with the International and Inland Rules of the Road. Of the seven years, one (1) year of experience as an instructor/trainer/evaluator in a Navy Training Environment, to include curriculum maintenance, writing learning objectives, preparing test items, evaluating instructional materials and the results of instruction and counseling students on academic learning problems.
Desired LCS or operational Fleet experience either as a US Navy qualified Underway Officer of the Deck or USCG licensed Deck Officer (Master, 1st Mate, 2nd Mate, or 3rd Mate). Experience as a designated/qualified LCS-1 OOD or a Master Training Specialist in support of SWOS and/or CSCS is a significant plus
Experience as trainer/instructor in support of CSCS/ATRC/TACTRAGRU is a significant plus. Must be able to support training with extended periods on your feet while instructing. Travel may be required up to 10 % of time.
For more than 50 years, General Dynamics Information Technology has served as a trusted provider of information technology, systems engineering, training and professional services to customers across federal, state, and local governments, and in the commercial sector. Over 40,000 GDIT professionals deliver enterprise solutions, manage mission-critical IT programs and provide mission support services worldwide. GDIT is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status, or any other protected class.